Saturday, January 10, 2009

Random dislikes

There is a couple of things I don't like... it is only my personal taste, nothing against those who like them.I've been meaning to write a blog post about this for some time...
These are my random dislikes, some of them has to do with knitting, some of them more general...

1. I don't like winter. OK, today I won't go in there. I will not spend the time on snow and cold and being cold...

2. I don't like three quarter length sleeves. Interestingly enough I have nothing against cropped pants or shirt sleeves turned up to that length, but I don't like if they are done that way. Again, no particular reason.

3. I don't like the color black. So much that if I dress in all black, or black and grey people ask me who died. I do have a couple pieces of black clothing, but they are usually just the base for something more colorful.

4. Nor do I like yellow. In fact even more than I don't like black. Black sometimes does have it's uses. I have no clothes or anything else around the house in yellow. The only way I can stand the color is in flowers. Even then I would choose something in a different color, but if someone comes with a bunch of narcissi, I wouldn't chase them away...

4. Circular needles. OK, the ADDI needles I bought lately slightly changed that. But I would still much rather knit something with straight needles, or DPNs.

5.-I don't like garter stitch. If I use it I try to limit it to a couple/few rows of it, usually to prevent rolling. I don't really know why, it might have something to do with my peculiar knitting style, my after I turn a purl row I have the leading leg of a stitch on the back. Which makes my knitting very comfortable for some stuff, like stockinette and ribbing, not as much for garter or seed stitch. And for some reason I don't like the look of a bigger surface of garter. For a long time I am wondering the Baby Surprise Jacket, but since it is all grater I might never knit it.

Of course there are more things, like artificial Xmas trees, or lying, but that will be for some other post.
As for knitting I've been wondering about the February lady sweater. I knitted it for the daughter of my beast RL friend, and I am still not convinced. Beside the large area of garter stitch and three quarter sleeves (now that is a feature that can be remedied), most probably it is the line that separates the garter and the lace. I've looked a lot of FOs on Ravelry, and if you look closely it falls falls right across the breast...
If I would make an a-line, or empire sweater (or blouse) I would make sure if there is a line across, it would fall *below* the breast...In fact I am making a sleeveless cardi now, that is mostly based on the idea of the February and the Juliet sweater .Top down, empire, but the bodice is stockinette and longer, the "skirt" or peplum, or whatever it is called is lace patterned. There is a few rows of garter around the neck, and arm opening, and before cast off to prevent rolling. I will see how it turns out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, A!! You must stop by & see my update - I finally got my tattoos done. :D

Love the post. I don't wear yellow either, though I do love to wear black. :)

Brussels Chronicles said...

Oops ! I have lots of 3/4 sleeves, I have an artificial x-mas tree, and I was contemplating buying a yellow wool jacket in the sales this week... So now I just wonder: will you still love me, after reading this ? Waaaah !

peony said...

Hehehe...of course I would still love you even if you dress all in black, or yellow for that matter :-)))
As I said all these are only my dislikes... and absolutely no judgement on those who love them...